Agnimantha as the name suggests Agni – Fire and Mantha – churning was the tree whose barks were rubbed against each other to induce fire. It is one of the Dashamoola.
Botanical Name – Premna integrifolia
Family – Verbinaceae
Names in different language –
Kannada – Arani, Taggi
Marathi – Chamari
Tamil – Munnai
Telugu – Gabbunelli
The Leaves of this tree are glossy and elongated having a color of Dark green above and light green underneath. The flowers are greenish white or whitish in color. The fruits are about 5 mm in width and round in shape.
The medicinal parts are – Roots, Leaves and Bark
Agnimantha Benefits –
- The Root tea or kashaya improves appetite and aids in proper digestion.
- The decoction is used as a sitz bath to relieve pain occurring in haemorrhoids.
- The Juice of the leaves help in reducing weight and improves metabolism
- The leaves are a little warmed and applied will reduce the severe pain.
- The decoction of roots has been useful in Diabetes.
- The bark is made into a paste with milk and this paste helps reduce freckles.
Side Effects –
There are no known side effects of this medicinal tree.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.