Ashokarishta (Asokarishtam) is an Ayurvedic medication used extensively in the treatment of several gynecological diseases including menstrual problems. It is also called Asokarishtam. Ashokarishta contains about 5 to 10% of self-generated alcohol. This natural alcohol and the water present in this product serve as a media to provide the alcohol- and water-soluble active compounds of the herbs used in its preparation.
The Ingredients –
The natural herbs used in this medication are Ashoka –
- Saraca asoka
- Guda (jaggery)
- Dhataki (Woodfordia fruticosa)
- Mustak (Cyperus rotundus)
- Ajaji (Nigella sativa)
- Shunti (Ginger)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Utpala (Nymphaea stellata)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica)
- Vasa (Adhatoda vasica)
- Amalaki (Indian gooseberry)
- Jeeraka (cumin seed)
- Amrasthi (mango seed)
- water for decoction
- Chandana (Santalum album or sandalwood).
Medicinal Properties —
Ashokarishta (asokarishtam) has following healing properties.
- Mild estrogenic
- Digestive Stimulant
- Haematinic (increases hemoglobin levels)
- Muscle relaxant
Benefit of Ashokarishta —
- Balances female hormones
- Maintains healthy production of female hormones
- Helping to regulate the menstrual cycle and ease the transition into menopause
- Nourishes the blood and the reproductive system
- Maintains regular and healthy menses
- Rejuvenates female reproductive organs and blood
- Improves fertility
- Uterine tonic
Ashokarishta is indicated in —
- Female hormonal imbalances, menstrual disorder
- Excessive discharge of blood during period
- Periods at irregular intervals, menorrhagia (dysfunctional uterine bleeding)
- Dysmenorrhea (pain during menstruation that interferes with daily activities)
- Pain in female genital tract
- Safed paani/shwet pradar (leucorrhoea): whitish discharge from the female genitals
- Jvara (fever), Raktapitta (bleeding disorders), Arsh/piles
- Mandagni/dyspepsia (painful, difficult, or disturbed digestion), tastelessness
- Meha or polyuria production of abnormally large volumes of dilute urine)
- Shoth (inflammation)
- Ashokarishta or Asokarishtam is a tonic for female reproductive system. It strengthens uterus, and balances hormones. It is useful in almost all period related problems (amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, menorrhagia, metrorrhagia. It cures infertility and improves chances of conceiving.
- This medicine is useful in all female diseases. It is a tonic that improves health and can be used for long duration.
Dosage of Ashokarishta —
Take 15 – 30 ml of Ashokarishta orally with equal amount of water after meals twice a day.
Adjuvants of Ashokarishta —
Water is an adjuvant for Ashokarishta. You should add equal amount of water and Ashokarishta, then take immediately after meal.
Caution & Side Effects —
Ashokarishta is Possibly Safe and Well Tolerated in most women. Some women may feel burning sensation after taking this remedy, but this side effect occurs only in women suffering with acidity or heartburn.
Ashokarishta Side Effects —
The most common side effect of Ashokarishta is delayed menstruation.
- Delayed menstruation
- Missed period
- Decreased menstrual blood flow
Ashokarishta may have effects on hormone levels, which may affect adversely in pregnancy. Therefore, pregnancy women should avoid using ashokarishta tonic. We consider it Probably Unsafe in Pregnancy.
Lactating mothers can take ashokarishta if they experience heavy bleeding, leucorrhea or any other disease as explained above in therapeutic indication section of this article. It may not have adverse effects on mothers and breastfeeding babies. Instead, it contains good amount of calcium and promotes optimum health of bones and joints as well.