Baking soda has been used in skin-care for quite a long time. It is an exfoliator, a skin-brightener, and to even out complexion. It is a natural, effective and budget-friendly way to help with many beauty related issues. It is a chemical-free anti-bacterial agent, and helps with many skin issues such as acne, bacterial infection on the hands and feet, etc.
But first, what exactly is baking soda? Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, bicarb and bicarbonate of soda, is a white powder with an alkaline taste. It is found in its natural state dissolved in mineral springs around the world, making it easily available and cost effective.
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is widely used for beauty treatment and health purposes. It is incorporated in several home remedies for its effectiveness. Baking soda has mild antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties and helps to reduce inflammation caused by acne. Baking soda does wonder for acne prone skin by curing acne and exfoliation of scars
Baking soda is an amphoteric compound and can either act as acid or base. It is a useful compound for neutralization of pH. It rectifies the pH imbalance of skin, which is responsible for acne formation. Baking soda forms a grainy paste, which aids in cleaning and exfoliation of skin. It removes dirt, oil and dead skin cells.
Let’s have a look at the amazing beauty benefits of Baking soda:
- Teeth — Baking soda is a natural bleach for the teeth. In a small dish, mix 1 tbsp. baking soda with some water and a pinch of salt, and use this mixture instead of the regular toothpaste once a day to get bright teeth.
- Hair — Baking soda can also be dusted on the hair, on a day when you don’t want to shampoo, to get rid of excessive oils.
- Body — Take 1-2 tbsp. of baking soda, or more, depending on your requirement, and add only as much water to make a thick paste. This acts as an excellent scrub for the skin, and also for any rough patches.
- Feets/Hands — For the Nails: Dip a soft, wet toothbrush into baking soda powder, and use this to scrub around nails. It will remove all dead skin, and soften the cuticle, leaving hands and nails squeaky clean.
- Exfoliation — Mix 1 tbsp. of baking soda with 1 tbsp. of water or apple cider vinegar. This is an excellent mild scrub for the skin, and also helps in tightening skin pores (when used with apple cider vinegar).
- Anti-acne — Bacteria on the skin need an acidic environment to grow, and since Baking Soda is alkaline in nature, it disrupts the growth of bacteria on the skin (without disrupting the pH balance of the skin) and helps in fighting acne. Use in the same way as the Exfoliator above. Leave the mixture on the face for 10 minutes after exfoliation, and then wash off with cold water.
- Skin brightening and for getting even complexion — Mix 1 tsp. of baking Soda with a 1 tbsp. of lemon juice and a few drops of olive oil. Apply this pack to your cleansed face for 10 minutes, then wash off with cold water.
- Eases stomach pain
- Relieves bloating and gas
- Hand Softener – To scrub away dirt and odors, mix baking soda with warm water and rub it on your hands. This natural scrub will leave your hands clean and soft.
- Itchy Skin Relief – Baking soda can help to reduce discomfort from sunburn and allergic rashes. Mix a teaspoon with some water to create a paste – then rub it on your skin.
- Sunburn Relief – Your fragile sunburned skin will benefit from soaking in a mixture of baking soda and water. Draw a warm bath and add half a cup of baking soda; you can also mix baking soda into your favorite body lotion.
- Heartburn and Indigestion Relief – Baking soda is a cost-effective way to reduce heartburn and indigestion, which also contain bicarbonate. Simply add half a teaspoon of baking powder to two cups of water. An hour after eating, drink this mixture to gain some relief.
- Exercise Enhancer – The baking soda benefits can change your exercise routine, too. It has the power to absorb the lactic acid that builds up in muscles during vigorous workouts, which can delay fatigue and enhance your athletic performance. You can consume baking soda by drinking a teaspoon with water.
- Improve Kidney Function – As an alkaline substance, baking soda buffers acids in the body and helps to keep pH levels balanced. Low-functioning kidneys have a hard time removing acid from the body, so consuming baking soda will help with just that.
- Reduce Ulcer Pain – Because baking soda neutralizes stomach acid, it’s the perfect remedy for ulcers. Drink a glass of water with 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda to relieve symptoms.
- Treats body odor — Combine ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of water and a few drops of any essential oil. Use a cotton ball to rub it on your underarms or areas where you sweat excessively. Use it regularly to fight body odor.
- Removes Dandruff — Rub 1 tablespoon of baking soda onto your wet hair and scalp. Wait for a minute, then rinse it out thoroughly with water. Do this once a week only
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.