The main symptom of colic is localized pain in the abdomen or urinary tract that comes and goes. Colic occurs when there is an obstruction within a hollow internal body part, such as the intestines, gallbladder, rectum, kidneys, or ureters.
To try to rid the body of the obstruction, the muscles contract vigorously around it, and these spasms cause pain. Some of the most common obstructions that lead to colic are gall stones and kidney stones.
A colic episode can last for up to 5 hours, with intense pain that gradually subsides. There can be a residual ache for up to 24 hours. Once a person has had one episode of colic, they are likely to have more.
Hepatic Colic — the severe pain produced by the passage of a gallstone from the liver or gall bladder through the bile duct.
Intestinal Colic — pain due to distention of the intestine by gas.
Renal Colic — the severe pain produced by the passage of a calculus from the kidney through ureter.
- In Renal colic, check Uric acid in blood and urine, USG Abdomen and pelvis to find stone and KUB (Kidney Ureter Bladder, X Ray)
- In small intestinal colic, there will be pain around umbilicus.
- It may be due to worm and amoebic colitis
- In pain around umbilical region, with vomiting and abdominal distension think of Intestinal Obstruction.
- Large Intestine colic is relieved by passing motion. Sigmoid colon is the commonest site of Colic pain.
- Management is based on independent conditions.
- If the abdominal pain is acute in the upper abdomen, reflex oesophagitis, unstable angina, hiatus hernia, gastritis , gall stone colic, gastric ulcer and pancreatitis are the causes to be considered.
- If the pain is in the central abdomen, small bowel obstruction, mesenteric artery occlusions are common.
- If the pain is in the lateral abdomen, pyelonephritis, renal calculi, ureteric calculus, appendicitis, and salpingitis are to be consider.
- If the pain is in the hypogastric region, Ulcerative colitis, cystitis, PID, Endometriosis should be thought off.
Treatment Principle —
- If the colic pain is because of passage of gall stone better not to give anything orally. Modern Pain killers are very much effective.
- For Intestinal colic, the following medications are helpful —
- Gandharvahastadi Kashayam
- Chiravilvadi Kashayam
- Kalashakadi Kashayam
- Nayopayam Kashayam
- Indukantham Kashayam
- Sapthasaram Kashayam
- Dhanvantaram gulika
- Hinguvachadi Gulika
- Shankha vati
- Vilvadi Gulika
- Bilvadi Lehyam
- Sukumara lehyam
- Aardraka Rasayanam
- Kalyanaka Gudam
External Application —
- Application of Karpuram Tailam & Dhanvantara Tailam over the abdomen is also effective.
- Intestinal Obstruction should be diagnosed and referred properly.
- For hepatic flexure and splenic flexure syndrome, Agni dipana and Udavarta Chikitsa are sufficient.
Principles & Practice of Ayurvedic Clinical Medicine
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.