Coriander is one of the rarest spices that we seem to use equally in seed, powder, or plant form.
Botanical Name – Coriandrum sativum
Family – Umbelliferae
English Names – Coriander seeds; Cilantro Seeds
Morphology –- Coriander is an annual soft shrub that attains a height of 1 to 3 feet. Leaves are in basal cluster varies from 3 to 15 cm in length and are oblong to ovate in shape. Leaflets are 1 to 2 cm in length and are ovate to round. Flower is of white color which can vary from light purple to creamish in color. Fruit is round in shape bearing the color that varies from yellow to brown. It is tripped and gets divided into two then crushed with fingers. The plant flowers and fruits in late winter
Health Benefits –
- Coriander is helpful in supporting the proper functioning of the Liver.
- Coriander helps maintain cholesterol in normal range in healthy people.
- Coriander is helpful in supporting the Nervous system
- Coriander improves the joint flexibility and stability.
- Coriander maintains the normal water balance.
- Coriander is useful to improve gut health.
- Coriander is helpful to support a healthy heart.
- Coriander is helpful in improving the taste.
Physical and chemical properties of Coriander –
Taste – Astringent, Bitter
Quality – Light; Unctuous; Oily
Potency – Hot
Post Digestive effect – Sweet
How to consume the herb –-
Fruit powder – 3-6 grams
Cold infusion – 10 -30ml per day
Some home remedies in which coriander can be inculcated –-
- To detoxify your body – Drink one glass of coriander juice.
- To cure digestive disorders – Add 5 tsps Coriander leaf juice to a glass of buttermilk.
- To relieve from Mouth ulcers — Paste of coriander leaves is applied on to the mouth ulcers 2-3 times a day for relief from mouth ulcers.
- To treat menstrual cramps — boil a few coriander seeds in a cup of water and drink the liquid.
- To cure stomach ache – Add 2 tsp of coriander powder in 4 glasses of water and boil it. Drink this mixture.
- To treat urinary inflammation – Add one teaspoon each of coriander powder and amla powder in a one glass of water and mix it. Filter the mixture and drink it in a course of a week.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.