Horse gram can best be described as a reddish brown legume which is packed with a number of health benefits. It can help with a number of health problems as it is a grain which contains a good and rich amount of vitamins, proteins, and iron.
In addition to weight loss, it helps in reduction of extra fat from the body. Horse gram is rich in B-complex vitamin and proteins. It helps in purifying menstruation and cures and prevents arthritis. The presence of a good amount of dietary fibre in the gram helps balance sugar glucose and blood pressure levels.
Horse gram is the most protein-rich lentil found on the planet. It is very high-powered. That’s why race horses are fed with this gram, which is called horse gram in the market.
Horse gram may not be inviting by the sound of it but its qualities are undeniably wonderful. It is:
- High in iron, calcium and protein. In fact, horse gram has the highest calcium content among pulses and is one of the richest vegetarian sources of protein
- Low in fat and high in carbohydrate content
- Low in lipid and sodium content, and its slow digestible starch make ideal for diabetic and obesity patients
- Helps relieve menstrual problems — It is believed that horse gram contains a number of curative properties which help deal with menstruation problems. Women who are experiencing irregular periods as well as excessive bleeding can consume horse gram water on a regular basis or have the option of adding horse gram soup or sprouts to their everyday diet. Ayurveda advises women to take one small teaspoon of horse gram powder in the morning.
- Eliminates Kidney Stones — Kidney stones can be painful and are caused owing to the deposit of oxalates. Therefore, it is recommended that a person suffering from kidney stones should consumer low dosages of calcium and phosphorus
- Keeps cold at bay — Horse gram has the ability to warm the body, therefore in northern India, it is usually eaten during winters. It also has the ability to keep you away from cold conditions like running nose and sneezing.
- Protects against diabetes — Unprocessed raw horse gram seeds contain beneficial anti-hyperglycemic properties that help in the reduction of insulin resistance. Therefore, horse gram has been a recommended food for diabetics. A comparative study between horse gram seeds and sprouts reveal that the seeds have benefits that will serve hyperglycemic individuals over the horse gram sprouts
- Boosts Weight Loss — Horse gram is low in calories, high in protein and burns very slowly. It’s also loaded with fiber and protein, making it an ideal diet food for people who want to lose weight. Because it’s filling, eating horse gram will make you feel fuller for longer. The nutrients in this lentil also trigger the fat-burning abilities of the body. Finally, horse gram cuts back cravings because it stabilizes the blood sugar level. A low blood sugar will trigger intense cravings. This could lead to overeating and weight gain.
- Reduce Cholesterol Level — Did you know that horse gram helps reduce bad cholesterol in the blood? Studies show that high cholesterol in the blood is the leading cause of cardiovascular diseases. Horse gram works by eliminating cholesterol that would otherwise build up in the veins. It contains fiber that flushes out cholesterol in the small and large intestines too.
- Promotes Healthy Pregnancy — Health experts recommend adding horse gram to an expectant mother’s diet. This lentil is incredibly high in iron, an essential nutrient for the mother and the developing fetus. Traditionally, horse gram is a part of a pregnant woman’s diet in India. However, we recommend talking to your doctor first before adding horse gram to your diet if you are expecting.
- Keeps the Skin Healthy — Just eat a serving of horse gram several times per week and you will achieve soft, clear and younger-looking skin! You can even use powdered horse gram as a face mask. Just add a dollop of yogurt and a pinch of turmeric to make a loose paste. Apply on freshly cleansed face and leave it on for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
- For Fever — Ayurveda acharyas recommend soup of horse gram in common cold, fever, bronchitis and asthma. It relieves congestion and makes breathing easy. It supplies required nutrients to boost body immunity in fever and common cold
- Reduces Indigestion — It reduces flatulence and reduces indigestion. It also helps to eradicate intestinal parasites.
- Low sperm Count — Horse gram is of great help for men who suffer from low sperm count. The nutrients like calcium, phosphorous, iron, and amino acids which are present in horse gram promote sperm production. According to principles of ayurveda horse gram liquefies semen and removes impurities from it.
- Relieves Constipation — The fiber content of horse gram helps to relieve constipation and ease bowel movement.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.