Hemoglobin is a protein rich in Iron and is present in the red blood cells. It is responsible in carrying oxygen throughout the body.
The main function of hemoglobin is to transport the oxygen to the lungs and the body tissues so that there is proper functioning of the cells.
The normal levels of hemoglobin are:
• 14 to 18 g/dl for adult men, and
• 12 to 16 g/dl for adult women
The symptoms which prevail when there is a decrease in the hemoglobin levels are:
• Shortness of breath
• Nails will be brittle
• The skin become pale
• Heart rate will increase.
• Has a poor appetite
If there is consistent drop in the hemoglobin levels then the condition may be diagnosed as Anemia.
The causes of low hemoglobin levels in people:
- During pregnancy
- During menstruation in the ladies
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Iron deficiency
- Folic acid deficiency
- Vitamin C deficiency
- Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Trauma or accident
- Kidney problems
- Stomach ulcers
- Other diseases of the digestive tract
As we have seen that there are various reasons behind the drop in hemoglobin there are a few ways which are effective to increase the hemoglobin levels to normal. The time taken to increase the hemoglobin levels depends on the levels and a thorough check with the Doctor for the improvement.
Now let’s list down the ways to increase the hemoglobin levels by natural remedies:
- Increase the intake of iron rich foods like almonds, Brown rice, Broccoli, Spinach, Beans, Lentils, Peas, Chick peas, Flax seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Sesame seeds, Cashew Nuts, Sun dried tomatoes, Potato skins, Olives, Quinoa, Dark chocolate etc.,
- Increase the intake of Vitamin C foods such as Amla, Guava, Kiwi, Bell pepper, Orange, Strawberries, Papaya, Pineapple, Grape fruit, Cauliflower etc.,
- Eat folic acid rich foods like Sprouts, Dried beans, Peanuts, Banana, Broccoli, Flax seeds, Pumpkin seeds, Almonds, Oranges, Strawberries, Corn, Carrots etc.,
- Beetroots are the best vegetables to increase both the hemoglobin levels. It is rich in folic acid, iron, Potassium and fiber.
- Green apples and Pomegranate are another boon to increase the hemoglobin levels. They both are rich in protein, carbohydrates and fiber.
- Eat more iron-rich food during pregnancy and after your period.
- Take cold baths twice daily to improve blood circulation.
- Avoid drinking Coffee, tea, Wine, Beer, Milk and its products.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.