Karpurasava is mainly used for the treatment of cholera. It reduces the frequency of watery stools and clears the infection. It also gives relief from vomiting, and muscle cramps occurring in cholera. In addition, it can also be used for the treatment of diarrhea of various origins, vomiting, and toothache.
The reference shloka —
तुलां प्रसन्नां परिगृह्य शुद्धां पलाष्टकं चोडुपतेः क्षिपेच्च |
एलाच सूक्ष्मा घनशृङ्गबेर यवानिकं वेल्लजमत्र सर्वं ||
पलप्रमाणं पिहिते च भांडे मासं निदध्यात् भिषगत्र यत्नात् |
विषूचिकायाः परमौषधं तत् निहन्ति चान्यान् विविधान् विकारान् ||
tulāṁ prasannāṁ parigr̥hya śuddhāṁ palāṣṭakaṁ coḍupateḥ kṣipecca |
elāca sūkṣmā ghanaśr̥ṅgabera yavānikaṁ vellajamatra sarvaṁ ||
palapramāṇaṁ pihite ca bhāṁḍe māsaṁ nidadhyāt bhiṣagatra yatnāt |
viṣūcikāyāḥ paramauṣadhaṁ tat nihanti cānyān vividhān vikārān ||
The Contents —
- Prasanna — Rectified spirit
- Karpura — Camphor
- Ela — Elettaria cardamom
- Ghana (Musta) — Cyperus Rotundus
- Sringavera (Sunthi) — Zingiber officinale
- Yavanika — Trachyspermum ammi
- Vella (Vidanga) — Embelia ribes
Karpurasava Medicinal Properties —
- Helps counter acting cholera
- Relieve the symptoms of diarrhea, such as an increased frequency and urgency when passing stools
- It is very effective against nausea and vomiting
- Helps relieve pain
- It suppresses muscle spasms
Karpurasava Dosage —
- Children — 1 to 3 drops
- Adults — 3 to 10 drops
The doses — Twice or thrice a day
Anupana — with Misri (sugar)
The Side effects of Karpurasava —
It contains Camphor, the following side effects can occur with Karpurasava.
- Burning sensation
- Dysuria (with its high dosage)
- Abdominal pain (with its high dosage)
If these symptoms appear, Karpurasava should be immediately stopped and seek immediate medical attention.
- In Cholera, the dosage is repeated after every 30 to 60 minutes until acute symptoms subside.
- In severe cases, dosage can be increased up to 20 drops initially. As soon as patient get relief from acute symptoms, dosage should be reduced.
Medical Disclaimer. The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.