Manjistha’s name translates to “bright red,” insinuating its strong affinity to the blood.
Botanical Name – Rubia cordifolia
Family Name – Rubiaceae
English Name – Indian Madder
Kannada Name — Rakta Manjisthe
Manjistha is a perennial climber. The plant itself is prickly and will often grow over other plants. The roots have a characteristically red colouring and the leaves are an ovate shape with distinctive veins running along their length. The flowers are small and a white-green colouring. The manjistha fruits are globular and a deep purple-black.
Health benefits –
- Manjishta improves joint flexibility and stability.
- Manjishta helps support the female reproductive system.
- Manjishta is helpful to improve the gut health.
- Manjishta helps maintain normal blood sugar levels in healthy people.
- Manjishta helps support a healthy skin.
- Manjishta helps to support a healthy heart.
- Manjishta helps remove toxins from the body.
- Manjishta helps maintain healthy functioning of immune system
Home remedies –
- For dark spots and acne – Paste of Manjistha is mixed with water and applied uniformly. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash off using warm water.
- Blood Purifier – The Decoction / Kashaya is helpful in purifying the blood.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.