The last post was about the causes and the food to eat to prevent premature greying of hair. Now let us see some home remedies which will help prevent and reduce it.
1. Amla — Amla, is excellent for a variety of hair problems including premature graying, dull hair, and hair loss. Being rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, it has anti-aging benefits. In addition to consuming this fruit, you can also apply amla oil or amla pulp on your hair.
• Put some coconut oil in a pan. Boil a few dried amla pieces (if you do not have dried amla then use amla powder) in the oil until they become charred. Let the oil cool. Apply the oil on your hair and scalp. Leave it on overnight, or at least for an hour, before rinsing it out. Do this at least once or twice a week.
• Alternatively, you can mix together one tablespoon each of amla pulp and lemon juice. Massage your scalp with it at night before going to bed and wash it out the next morning.
• You can also apply a combination of equal amounts of amla juice and almond oil. You can add a little lime juice, too. Apart from reducing grey hair, this also facilitates healthy hair growth.
2. Curry leaves — Curry leaves help increase darker pigmentation in your hair. When combined with coconut oil, it works as a great hair tonic.
• Boil a handful of fresh curry leaves in a tablespoon of coconut oil until they become charred. Strain the oil.
• Massage it into your hair. Leave it on for 30 to 45 minutes before rinsing it out.
• Follow this treatment at least once or twice a week
3. Henna — Henna works as a wonderful natural hair colorant. Besides making your hair darker, it will strengthen and condition your lustrous locks.
• Grind a handful of henna leaves into a paste. Add three teaspoons of Amla powder, one teaspoon of coffee powder, and a little plain yogurt. Spread it evenly on your hair. After it dries, rinse it out and then shampoo your hair as usual. Repeat the process once every two to four weeks.
• Another alternative is to boil some henna leaves in coconut oil or mustard oil until the leaves become charred, and use this oil on your hair.
• You can also prepare a henna hair mask by mixing hot black coffee and henna powder until you get a yogurt-consistency. Cover the bowl and let it sit for a few hours. Apply it to your hair, leave it on for one to three hours, and then shampoo your hair.
4. Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice — Coconut oil works wonders for your hair. It moisturizes your hair, stimulates hair growth, fights infections, and adds luster to your hair. When used for a prolonged time, it also helps reverse gray hair because it is packed with antioxidants.
• Mix three teaspoons of lemon juice in some coconut oil, enough for the length of your hair.
• Apply it to your hair and massage it into your scalp. Leave it on for at least an hour before shampooing your hair.
• Repeat on a weekly basis.
5. Onion juice — Onion juice is believed to be a brilliant home remedy for thinning hair and premature graying. Recently, researchers found that gray hair is chiefly caused by a buildup of hydrogen peroxide at the base of the hair follicles and a decrease in a natural antioxidant compound, called catalase. Onion juice promotes the production of this compound.
• Apply onion juice onto your scalp, massage, and leave it on for about 30 minutes to an hour.
• Repeat the process daily for a few weeks.
6. Amaranth — Amaranth combats hair loss and helps stop premature graying by retaining the natural color of your hair.
• Shampoo your hair.
• Apply fresh juice extracted from amaranth leaves on your hair and scalp.
• Rinse it out.
7. Black sesame seeds – According to traditional Chinese medicine, black sesame seeds are highly effective in getting rid of the problem of premature graying of hair. It is believed that they promote melanocyte activity to produce melanin.
They are also rich in protein, iron, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, and copper. Simply eat a teaspoon of black sesame seeds daily for at least three months. Regularly applying sesame oil on your hair is also useful.
9. Ghee — Massaging with pure ghee, twice in a week, curbs the problem of grey hair.
10. Ridged gourd (Torai) — Boil ridged gourd in coconut oil till it turns black for 3-4 hours. Massaging the scalp with this oil cures premature greying of hair.
11. Black Pepper — 1 gm of black pepper and ½ cup of curd is also a good option for massaging your hair and scalp to curb grey hair. Lemon juice can also be added to this mixture.
12. Almond Oil — Mix equal amount of almond oil, lemon juice, and amla juice. Massage your hair with this mixture to cure the problem of grey hair.
13. Guava Leaves — Guava leaves are also good for turning grey hair black. Just grind some guava leaves and apply on your scalp on the regular basis.
14. Aloe Vera Gel — Apply aloe vera gel as a therapeutic remedy for premature greying of hair.
15. Ashwagandha (Indian ginseng) — For treating your grey hair, apply ashwagandha or Indian ginseng on your scalp. It helps in increasing the melanin content of the hair.
16. Bottle Gourd Juice (Lauki) — Bottle gourd juice can be applied in hair along with olive oil or sesame oil to treat the premature pigmentation of hair.
Do not expect instant results. You will have to follow these home remedies regularly for a few weeks or even months to see noticeable results. After all, patience is a virtue.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.