Vasa represent a class of herbal drug with very strong conceptual or traditional base as well as a strong experimental base for its use.
Botanical Name – Adhathoda vasica
Family Name — Acantaceae
Common Name —
- English – Malabar nut; Vasaka
- Kannada – Adusoage
- Marathi – Adulsa
- Hindi – Adulsa
Medicinal Uses –
- In cough – Juice of Vasa is advised.
- In Malarial fever – Root bark of Vasa juice
- In ear infections – Powdered herb of this drug mixed with half teaspoon of sesame oil
- In rheumatic pain – Boiled leaves are used.
- In urinary tract infections – Take the leaves of Vasa and boil it and drink the mixture.
- In rheumatoid Arthritis – Leaves are made into a paste and applied.
How to consume the herb –-
- Leaf Juice – 10 -20ml
- Root decoction – 40 –80ml
- Flower Juice – 10 –20ml
- Leaf dry powder – 1 –3 grams, once or twice a day.
- Putapaka Swarasa – 24 – 48ml, once or twice a day
The medicines which have Vasa as their ingredients –
- Vasa Ghrita
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.