Ulcerative colitis is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) that causes inflammation and ulcers (sores) in your digestive tract. Ulcerative colitis affects the innermost lining of your large intestine (colon) and rectum. Symptoms usually develop over time, rather than suddenly.
- Manifests and flares up with sudden severe diarrhoea, high fever, abdominal pain of peritonitis.
- Blood and mucous are found in the stool.
- Sometimes patients have 20 bowel movements in a day.
- Rectal spasm and urge to defecate will be present.
- Bleeding produces anemia
- There may be Arthritis, episcleritis, erythema nodosum, pyoderma gangrenous, ankylosing spondylitis, sacroilitis associated with this disease.
- Chronic active hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis are also seen.
- Serious complications is seen about 10% of people.
- ESR will be elevated
- Sigmoidoscopy or Colonoscopy confirms the diagnosis.
Treatment Principle —
- Vata Pitta Shamana, Vrana Ropana
- Katu Amla lavana varjitham is very important.
- Large intestine is a Vata Sahana and Vranam is because of Pitta and Raktha.
- Principles of pitta kapha grahani and Rakta atisara are implemented.
- Stambhanam has to be done in few cases.
- Shodhanam, Shamanam, Stambhanam are done based on Avasta.
- Raktham is one of the Jiva Dhana. If needed stambhanam has to be done at first phase itself.
- Nyagrodhadi Kashayam
- Ushiradi Kashayam
- Pushyanuga Sita Kashayam
- Mustadi Ksheera kashayam
- Guduchyadi Kashayam
- Priyangu Churna
- Pushyanuga Churna
- Lakshadi Churna
- Yashtimadhu Churna
- Lodhra Churna
- Dadimashtaka Churna
- Anuvasana Basti with Murivenna Taila or Nalapamaradi keram and Piccha Basti is highly useful.
After attaining agnibala
- Mahatiktakam Ghrita
- Tiktakam Ghrita
- Shatadhouta Ghrita
- Manicka Ghrita
Rasa Oushadhas —
- Pravala Pishti
- Sarja Rasa Bhasma (500mg) + Kankshi Bhasma (500mg)
- Maha Gandhaka rasa parpati
- Bola Parpati
- Rasa Parpati
- If available, goat’s milk should be taken.
- Once this colitis is stopped anti death paka chikitsa is to be done.
Principles & Practice of Ayurvedic Clinical Medicine
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.