Triphala as the name suggests is a combination of 3 fruits in equal proportion. It is used for various symptoms and in various forms.
The ingredients –
The triphala powder has 3 fruits in equal proportion.
- Amalaki — Emblica Officinalis
- Bibhitaki – Terminalia Bellirica
- Haritaki – Terminalia Chebula
Triphala Benefits –-
- Triphala powder stimulates the immune system.
- Triphala powder stimulates gastric secretion and improves digestion.
- Triphala powder is laxative in action and it helps in constipation.
- Triphala powder is carminative in action and it helps in flatulence, gas and abdominal distension.
- Triphala powder reduces the fat and helps in weight loss.
- Triphala powder reduces cellular resistance to uptake insulin and helps in a proper use of insulin in the cells. Therefore, it becomes effective in the treatment of diabetes mellitus.
- Triphala powder helps in reducing the cholesterol levels in the healthy people.
Triphala remedies –
- For weight loss – Triphala powder can be taken in dosage of 3 to 5 grams with warm water.
- For vertigo – take a spoon of Triphala powder with honey for a week to reduce the vertigo.
- For constipation – Take half teaspoon of Triphala powder in the night before going to bed.
- For cough – take half a teaspoon of Triphala powder with honey.
- For common cold – Take half teaspoon of Triphala powder and half teaspoon of Trikatu powder with honey.
Side effects –
However, some sensitive people can experience loose stools after using it first time. After a few days (about 1 to 3 days), this side effect of Triphala will disappear.
The common side effects of Triphala include:
1. Loose stools
2. Stomach upset
3. Abdominal pain and cramps
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.