Gastritis is the irritation and inflammation of the stomach lining.
- Duodenal ulcers are very commonly seen in practice than gastric ulcers.
- People with ”O” positive and ”B” positive blood group are commonly affected.
- Mostly people with Vata pitta Prakriti and pitta Vata Prakriti suffer from ulcers.
- Even though everybody has acid secretions, the erosion of the lining of the stomach and duodenum occurs only in 1 out of 10 people.
- Helicobacter pylori bacteria is a common causative factor in our country.
- Usually other bacterias do not grow in acidic stomach.
- Acute stress among executives is a causative factor.
- Drugs like aspirin, NSAID, ingestion of corrosive substances can produce erosive gastritis.
- Many people come with a history of prolonged usage of Aspirin. They usually do not have pain.
- Indigestion, upper abdominal discomforts are common.
- There may be loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and weight loss.
- In many cases, emptiness and hunger feeling are seen.
- Ulcer like symptoms including pain when stomach is empty.
- Melena (blood in stools) is commonly seen and there will be anaemia also.
- Pain is noted in a definite area and it usually develops in mid night (1 to 2am) (Duodenal ulcer)
- Diagnosis is clinical. Endoscopy is needed if there is no response after 6 months of treatment and if the age is above 50 years.
- If weight loss is seen in a patient above 50 years, endoscopy is must.
- Usually Barium meal study does not reveal an ulcer, thereby having a chance of missing 20% of peptic ulcer cases.
- If the patient is young and he is not responding to treatment even after 2 months, endoscopic biopsy will be useful.
- We can suspect H pylori in reflux conditions.
- Endoscopy is more reliable than Barium meal study.
Acute Phase —
- Drinking milk relieves the pain and re occurs after 2 hours.
- In first stage, Gulma chikitsa, amashaya gata vata chikitsa. We are using Tikte Rasa guna yukta oushadhas
- In Second stage, We use Madhura rasa because Madhura is snigdham and pitta Vata shamanam also.
- Mridu virechanam and Kshira Vasti
- Amrita Shadangam Kashayam
- Amruthotharam Kashayam
- Maha Tiktakam Kashayam
- Kaidaryadi Kashayam
- Shadanga Paniyam without Shunthi
- Drakshadi kashayam
- Vidaryadi kashayam
- Yasthimadhu, Musta Kashayam with honey
- Musta, Daruharidra, Dhanyaka kashayam
- Sudarshana Churna
- Triphala Churna
- Pravala Pishti
- Shankha Vati
- Panchanimbadi Gutika
- Prabhakara Vati
- Parushakadi lehyam
- Mrdvikaadi Lehyam
Rasa Oushadha —
- Akika Bhasma
- Pravala Bhasma
- Have an early dinner
- Food has to be well masticated & swallowed. Must drink water after food.
- Small frequent meals
- Curry Leaves, Butter milk, greens, carrot and fibre rich vegetables are highly recommended for intake.
- Avoid fasting & full meals
- Avoid intake of cold water in empty stomach
- Avoid smoking & alcohol.
- Intake of food in hotel, cool drinks and bakery items are to be avoided.
- Reduce intake of Coffee & Tea
- Reduce spicy, sour, oily food stuffs, tubers, pickles, fried items etc.,
Principles & Practice of Ayurvedic Medicine.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.