Diarrhea occurs when the digestive system is not functioning properly, resulting in frequent loose or watery stools, three or more times a day.
It’s very common and usually not serious. Many people get diarrhea once or twice each year. It normally lasts 2 to 3 days.
Some of the causes are —
- Viral infections,
- Bacterial infections,
- Consumption of contaminated food and water,
- Food in tolerances, and
- Intestinal diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
The symptoms which a person experiences are —
- Firstly, Bloating in your belly
- Thin or loose stools
- Watery stools
- An urgent feeling that you need to have a bowel movement
- Nausea and throwing up
The treatment —
If your case is mild, you may not need to take anything.
You can combat diarrhea with a variety of natural, home remedies to fight the infection as well as provide relief from the symptoms.
- Water is the first and foremost home remedy for diarrhea. When you have diarrhea you will be passing watery stools. Your body will be losing all the water from your body. You need to replace it on regular basis for recovery and also to keep yourself hydrated. Drink lot of water.
- Drink ginger tea two to three times a day. Slice one small piece of ginger and add them to one cup of water. Boil the water for a few minutes, strain it and add some honey before drinking it.
- Combine one-half teaspoon each of roasted fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds, add two tablespoons of yogurt and mix it well. Consume this mixture three times a day for quick relief from diarrhea.
- A glass of buttermilk should be taken with a pinch of rock salt (saindhava lavana), roasted cumin seed powder and black pepper twice in a day.
- Add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Drink the solution once or twice a day until your diarrhea subsides.
- Eat a few ripe bananas a day until your diarrhea subsides.
- Mix ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder in a cup of buttermilk. Drink this mixture 3-4 times in a day.
- Drink a glass of coconut water twice a day.
- Have two bowls of yogurt in a day.
- Have a cup of pumpkin twice a day.
- Drink two to three cups of Green Tea in a day.
- Consuming raw garlic will kill any microbes in your gut that are causing diarrhea
- Eat a cup of chopped pineapple.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.