It is a habit of many Indians to eat Betel Nut after a meal or more so now as an addiction to many. Betel Leaves are the store house of many medicinal properties and is recommended by many Ayurveda Practitioners.
Each part of the betel leaf is considered as anti toxin to many diseases. Some of the diseases it is used in are Nose bleed, red eyes, menstruation, throat problems etc.,
Here is how it is to be used in certain diseases/ symptoms:
- To begin with add 4 glasses of Water coupled with 15 leaves and let it boil till it reduces to 1/4th .
- Strain this water and drink it warm.
Cough reduces considerably.
Fight off Body odor –
- Add 5 leaves to 2 glasses of water and boil.
- Let it simmer down to one glass. Drink this mixture after lunch.
Burned Wounds –
- Crush a few leaves and take the juice of it.
- Add a little honey and apply this to the burnt place.
- Keep repeating this as and when it dries.
- As a result of this in a few days you will notice a new skin coming under the burnt skin.
Nose Bleed –
- Take the betel leaves and make it into a ball, more tender the better.
- Push it up the nose and breathe from the other side of the nose for 5 minutes
- The bleeding stops after that
Intestinal Ulcer –
- Chew the tender betel leaves once in a day
- The ulcers will vanish soon.
Red and itchy eyes –
- Boil a glass of water and add 5 tender leaves of Betel
- And let it cool down.
- Strain the water and use this water to wash your eyes thrice a day.
- Redness and the itchiness will reduce in 2 days time.
Itchiness of Hand –
- Add 20 betel leaves to one-liter water and boil for 15 minutes.
- After it cools down strain the water and wash your hands with that water
- The itchiness will recede in a day or two by all means.
Bleeding Gums —
- Add 4 betel leaves to 2 glasses of water and let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Let it cool. Use this to gargle at least thrice a day
- Chew 2 betel leaves and eat them without the fibre.
- To one litre water , add 4 betel leaves and boil it for a few minutes.
- Then remove the betel leaves and squeeze out the juice and add to the same water.
- Gargle from this water every now and then.
- Eventually, the bad mouth odour will recede in two days.
To get rid off pimples and acne –
- In this case, Cut 10 leaves into small pieces and add it to 2 glasses of Hot water.
- After cooling strain the mixture and wash your face with it.
- Do this for atleast twice a day, the pimples and acne will reduce considerably.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.