Kumaryasava is used for the treatment of menstrual disorders in women and abdominal diseases in general. Its main action appears on stomach, intestine, liver, spleen, uterus, ovaries and other organs in the abdomen and pelvis. It is useful in health problems such as loss of appetite, abdominal pain, piles, spleen enlargement, liver enlargement, fatty liver, epilepsy, amenorrhea, and menstrual irregularities.
The Reference Shloka —
कन्यारसं तुलार्धं वै तदर्धगुडमिश्रितं |
चातुर्जात लवंगानां सैन्धवस्य निशाद्वयात् ||
कृष्णोष्ण कुबेराणां धातकीनां पलं पलं |
पथ्या चूर्णं पलद्वंद्वं पलंचामलकस्य तु ||
उग्रगंधा विडंगानां जातिपत्र्याः पलं पलं |
एकीकृत्य शुचौ भांडे पक्षमेकं निधापयेत् ||
पलर्धं भक्षयेन्नित्यं गुल्मोदावर्त नाशनं |
आध्मानं पार्श्वशूलं च जठरार्ति कफं हरेत् ||
मन्दाग्नीं शमयेच्छवासंकासं हिक्कांक्षयं तथा |
प्लिहानं यकृतं शोफं नाशयत्येष सेवितः ||
kanyārasaṁ tulārdhaṁ vai tadardhaguḍamiśritaṁ |
cāturjāta lavaṁgānāṁ saindhavasya niśādvayāt ||
kr̥ṣṇoṣṇa kuberāṇāṁ dhātakīnāṁ palaṁ palaṁ |
pathyā cūrṇaṁ paladvaṁdvaṁ palaṁcāmalakasya tu ||
ugragaṁdhā viḍaṁgānāṁ jātipatryāḥ palaṁ palaṁ |
ekīkr̥tya śucau bhāṁḍe pakṣamekaṁ nidhāpayet ||
palardhaṁ bhakṣayennityaṁ gulmodāvarta nāśanaṁ |
ādhmānaṁ pārśvaśūlaṁ ca jaṭharārti kaphaṁ haret ||
mandāgnīṁ śamayecchavāsaṁkāsaṁ hikkāṁkṣayaṁ tathā |
plihānaṁ yakr̥taṁ śophaṁ nāśayatyeṣa sevitaḥ ||
The Ingredients —
- Kanya Rasa (Kumari Swarasa) — Aloe Vera Juice
- Guda — Jaggery
- Chaturjaata — Twak (Cinnamonum zeylanica) + Patra (Cinnamonum tamala) + Ela (Elattaria cardamum) + Nagakesara (Mesua ferrea)
- Lavanga — Syzygium Aromaticum
- Saindhava — Salt
- Nisha Dwaya — Haridra (Curcuma longa) + Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
- Ushana (Maricha) — Piper longum
- Kuberaksha — Caesalpinia bonduc
- Dhataki — Woodfordia Fruticosa
- Amalaki — Emblica officinale
- Vidanga — Embelia ribes
- Japatri — Myristica Fragrans
- Pathya (Haritaki) Choorna — Terminalia Chebula
The Indications —
- Parshwa shoola
- Mandagni — Loss of appetite & Anorexia nervosa
- Pleeha — Spleen enlargement (Splenomegaly)
- Yakrit Vikara — Liver enlargement/ Fatty Liver syndrome/ Obstructive Jaundice
The Benefits and Medicinal Uses —
- In Loss of appetite & Anorexia nervosa — start with the dosage of 5ml in children and 10 ml in adults twice daily and it should be increased upto 10ml in children & 20ml in adults twice daily over the period of 2 to 4 weeks.
- In cases of Fatty Liver syndrome — Kumaryasava should be given along with Aarogyavardhini Vati/ Vasaguluchyadi Kashayam, or Pippali Rasayana or Pippali Churna
- Amenorrhea — Along with Kumaryasava, Maha Yogaraja Guggulu and Rajah Pravartini Vati helps normalize & balance hormone levels, which may helps bringing on menstrual period.
The Dosage of Kumaryasava —
- Children — 5 to 10ml
- Adults — 10 to 20ml
Doses — Twice a day with equal amount of water immediately after food.
- Bleeding piles — This side effect appears when Kumaryasava is taken in high amount i.e. more than 50 ml per day. But if patient has Pitta Body type or other pitta conditions, then this side effect can also occur with lower dosage as well.
- Green Discoloration of Stool: It is very rare side effect.
- Mild Abdominal Cramps during bowel movement: Like other laxatives, Kumaryasava may cause mild abdominal cramp or pain during defecation. It is also very rare side effect of Kumari Asava.
- Discomfort feeling in urinary bladder and urethra: In high dosage, Kumaryasava can cause feeling of discomfort in the urinary bladder and urethra.
- Nephritis (inflammation of kidneys): This side effect is also very rare and can occur only with high dosage.
Pregnancy & Lactation
Kumaryasava (Kumari Asav) should not be taken during pregnancy because of its emmenagogue action, so it may promote bleeding and may lead to miscarriage.
During lactation, it should also be taken only if recommended by ayurvedic physician, according to the health condition.
Kumaryasava is not recommendable and suitable in following health conditions:
- Kidney Diseases
- Bleeding piles
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Peptic ulcer
- Mouth ulcers
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.