Everyone desires sparkling teeth to maintain a young and smart personality. Actually, shining teeth are the secret behind a beautiful smile. But, the fact is that very few people put efforts to maintain the natural whiteness of their teeth. Yellow teeth are a very common problem.
There are a number of ways to get rid of yellow teeth. Teeth whitening is the process of restoring the natural colour of teeth. It may also be referred as dental bleaching. In the cosmetic industry, teeth whitening have become the most requested procedure, now-a-days. There are multiple ways for whitening teeth, like brushing, bleaching pen, laser bleaching, and bleaching strips. However, certain home remedies are also available to get whiter teeth.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
We always think of visiting a dentist to remove yellow stains from teeth, but have we ever wondered how these yellow stains appear on your teeth? Well, there may be various reasons behind it, like:
- Chewing tobacco and smoking
- Drinking tea, coffee, wines, and colas
- Improper brushing and flossing
- Advancing age
- Genetics or natural characteristics
- Damage by fall disturbs the enamel (trauma)
- Excessive fluoride levels in water
- Several treatments, like neck and head radiation, chemotherapy, etc.
- Use of tetracycline, antihypertensive, antipsychotic, and antihistamines antibiotics
- Tooth filling
Before using any remedy for teeth whitening, it is better to get acquainted with the symptoms, which cause teeth discoloration. The major symptoms are:
- Worn away enamel
- White streaks or brown spots and yellow tints and pits on teeth.
- Foul smell from mouth
If you wish to get rid of yellow teeth, you can try some natural remedies. There are many kitchen ingredients that you can use to restore your pearly white smile.
Baking Soda –
Baking soda is one of the best ingredients that you can use to get rid of yellow teeth. It will help remove plaque and make your pearly whites shine.
- Mix a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with a little toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this gritty mixture and rinse with warm water. Use it once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, you can combine baking soda with lemon juice, white vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide.
- You can make a whitening mouthwash by mixing one tablespoon of baking soda and one and a half teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with one cup of cold water. Rinse with the mouthwash two or three times a day.
- You can also scrub your teeth gently for at least two minutes with diluted baking soda. Do this twice in the first week, and then every 15 days. It is essential to note that excess use of baking soda can strip your teeth of its natural enamel.
Orange Peel –
Cleaning your teeth with fresh orange peel on a regular basis will reduce the yellow tinge accumulated on your teeth.
- Rub orange peel over your teeth every night before going to sleep. The vitamin C and calcium in the orange peel will combat the microorganisms throughout the night.
- Do this for a few weeks and you will notice effective results.
If fresh orange peel is not available, you can use dried orange peel powder
Strawberries contain a good amount of vitamin C, which helps make your teeth whiter.
- Grind a few strawberries into a paste. Rub the paste on your teeth gently. If done twice daily for a few weeks, the yellow tinge on your teeth will vanish.
- Another option is to mix the pulp of one strawberry with one-half teaspoon of baking soda and spread the mixture onto your teeth and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse out your mouth and brush your teeth with toothpaste to get rid of any residue
Hydrogen Peroxide –
The mild bleaching effect of hydrogen peroxide can help make yellow teeth white again.
- Rinse and gargle with a mouthwash that has hydrogen peroxide. Make sure not to swallow the hydrogen peroxide.
- You can also make a paste of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and gently brush your teeth with it. Later, brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
Use hydrogen peroxide with extra caution as it can cause irritation of the gums and make your teeth sensitive
The bleaching property present in lemons can also help get rid of yellow discoloration. In fact, gargling with lemon juice and scrubbing your teeth with lemon peel is one of the best ways to make your teeth white again.
- Mix together a few drops of lemon juice and some salt.
- Apply the mixture on the stained teeth and rub the paste vigorously over your teeth and gums. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Do this twice daily for about two weeks to get rid of tartar and the yellow tinge.
Salt is one of the fundamental dental cleansing agents that has been used for ages. It helps replenish lost mineral content in the teeth and helps revive their white color.
- You can use common salt regularly each morning as a tooth powder instead of toothpaste. Another option is to mix common salt with charcoal and brush your teeth with it regularly.
- You can also mix common salt with baking soda and gently rub it on your teeth.
Be extra careful using salt as it can cause damage to your gums and tooth enamel if used roughly.
The leaves of Tulsi have whitening properties and can also protect your teeth from problems such as pyorrhea, an advanced form of periodontal disease.
- Put a few leaves of tulsi in the sun for a few hours. When the leaves are dry, grind them into powder form. Mix the powder with your regular toothpaste and brush your teeth.
- Another option is to make a paste of holy basil leaves and mustard oil and then use it to clean your teeth.
Eating a crunchy apple can scrub your teeth like a toothbrush and make them whiter.
- Try to eat one or two apples daily to get rid of yellow stain accumulated on your teeth.
- Chew it thoroughly so that the acidic nature of the apple and its fiber-rich rough flesh get ample time to work on your teeth.
You can also eat other crunchy food items such as raw carrots, cucumbers and broccoli.
You can also use neem to enjoy white, healthy teeth. Due to the astringent and antiseptic properties, regular use of neem oil also helps get rid of bad breath and prevents dental cavities.
- You can use neem twigs as a toothbrush to brush your teeth. Chewing neem branches also helps tackle teeth problems and remove yellow discoloring.
- You can also mix neem oil with your regular toothpaste and then brush your teeth.
Banana Peel –
Banana is rich in nutrients. In fact, banana peels also possesses minerals, like magnesium, manganese, and potassium. These minerals are helpful in penetrating into teeth and whiten them.
- Rub the banana peel on teeth for 2 minutes.
- Leave it for 15 minutes.
- After that, brush your teeth with normal toothpaste.
- Repeat this process for two or three times a week.
Crunchy Carrots –
Raw carrots are a natural cleanser. Chewing raw and crunchy carrots help in clearing plaque from teeth.
- Eat a carrot a day
Raisins help in increasing the production of saliva.
- Raisins should be consumed daily as it helps in scrapping off plaque
Oil Pulling –
Oil pulling is basically used to improve the oral health.
- Take one tablespoon of oil (sesame, coconut, sunflower, or olive).
- Rub it gently on teeth for 20 minutes.
- After rubbing, rinse your mouth.
- You can also gargle with oil to cover all corners of your mouth. After that, spit out the oil and rinse your mouth with clean water.
Cinnamon Leaf –
- Take some dried cinnamon leaves.
- Crush them and mix with an equal amount of dried orange peel powder.
- Add some water to make a paste
- Rub the paste directly on the teeth
- You can also use this mixture in dry form.
Aloe vera –
Aloe vera is also considered to be effective teeth whitening solution. It fights against the infecting bacteria and acts as a cleansing material. It is effective against cavities and root canals.
- mix aloe vera with vegetable glycerine to form a paste.
- Add some baking soda to it.
- Use the paste for cleaning the teeth.
Along with these remedies, you need to practice regular oral hygiene to enjoy positive results. If you do not get good results, you can consult a dentist.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.