“An apple a day keeps the doctor away” is an old Welsh proverb that most of us are familiar with, but what makes this fruit so special? What health benefits are associated with eating apples?
Nutrients And Minerals Found In Apples —
Since apples are stuffed with numerous vitamins and minerals, it contributes to a healthy and well-protected system. Apples contain plenty of antioxidants like flavonoids, polyphenols, and vitamin C that help protect the body against harmful bacteria and viruses. Moreover, the beta carotene in it has anti-cancer and anti-cholesterol properties. It is also an excellent source of B-complex vitamins like Thiamine, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine.
Here is how apple fruits benefits health!
- Anti cancer — Apples have potent anti-cancer abilities that protect the body from the life-sucking cancerous cells. This is the most important apple fruit benefit of all.Scientists from the American Association for Cancer Research, among others agree that the consumption of flavones-rich apples could help reduce your risk of developing pancreatic cancer by up to 23 percent.And several compounds enclosed in apple peels called triterpenoids, showed potential to anti-growth activities against cancer cells as identified by researchers at Cornell University. In addition, colorectal cancer can be beaten with intake of fibers. So the next time you chuck the peels of an apple in the garbage, think of the nutritious value in them!
- In Digestion — Apples, being rich in fiber, help in the digestive process. Regular consumption of apples ensures smooth bowel movements and helps in preventing constipation and various stomach disorders. Fiber is an important part of any diet. It adds bulk to the stool and helps food pass through the digestive tract smoothly
- Treats Anemia — Apples are useful in treating anemia since apples are a rich source of iron. Anemia is a deficiency of hemoglobin in the blood, which can be fixed by increasing your intake of iron, which is an integral part in the metabolism of red blood cells. By increasing the amount of red blood cells in the body, you not only prevent anemia but also ensure proper oxygenation of essential organ systems to keep them functioning properly.
- Boosts Immunity — Apples have an antioxidant known as quercetin which is especially found in red delicious apples. This antioxidant boosts the immune system to build the natural defenses of the body. The other nutrient present in an apple is vitamin C that has anti-inflammatory properties. Fibers also enhance the immune system. It is because of this that apples are considered to be high immunity boosters.
- Removes Weakness — Apples are known to remove weakness and add vigor and vitality to weak people. It is, therefore, often given to patients to help them recover quickly from their illnesses. If you want to gain weight, apples should be a part of your daily diet. It also helps in detoxifying the body and improving the overall health of the body. Although it doesn’t contain a significant amount of protein, the combination of the antioxidant compounds and the protein found in apples can have a major role in preventing weakness and improving muscle tone.
- Averts Asthma — Phytochemicals and polyphenols are the chemicals that give apple its healing properties, which can assist an individual recovering from asthma, breathing problems and improve the general functioning of the lungs
- Managing Diabetes — Blood sugar control is essential for people who suffer from diabetes, and the polyphenols in apples have been directly linked to reducing the uptake of carbohydrates by the body. This, in turn, reduces the fluctuation of blood sugar levels that occur in the bloodstream, an important factor for helping to keep diabetes in check.
- Prevents Gall stones — Gallstones form when there’s too much cholesterol in your bile, and it solidifies. They are particularly prevalent in obese people. To inhibit gallstones, doctors recommend a diet high in fiber to aid in controlling your weight and cholesterol levels. Apples are rich in pectin fiber that can assist in controlling the cholesterol levels in the body. The fiber does this by helping in reducing the absorption of LDL.
- Dental Care — Eating apples helps in cleaning both the teeth and gums. Furthermore, it reduces the incidence of cavities in the teeth. When you eat apples, the fiber in it cleanses the teeth, while the antibacterial properties of the fruit keep bacteria and viruses from infecting the body. Eating apples also stimulates the secretion of saliva, which is an alkalinic compound, meaning that it further reduces the ability of bacteria to multiply and grow in your mouth.
- Detoxifies Liver — We’re constantly consuming toxins, whether it is from drinks or food, our liver is in charge of discharging these toxins out of your body. One of the best things you can eat to help detoxify your liver is fruits like apples which are composed of vitamins, minerals, and fibers.
- Prevents Parkinson’s — Parkinson’s is a disease that is characterized by the breaking down of the brain’s dopamine-producing nerve cells. The antioxidants present in apples prevents this breakdown.
- Averts Haemorrhoids — Hemorrhoids are the result of swollen veins in the anal canal due to excessive pressure on the pelvic and rectal areas. While this is isn’t life threatening, it does make the daily activities painful. The fiber content in the apple reduces the strain and effort, thus reducing the pain.
- Helps in weight loss — The fiber in the fruit fills the stomach for fewer calories. Hence, reducing the calorie intake along with killing the hunger pangs. This allows for the accumulated fats to be burned and contributes to weight loss
- Increases endurance — The antioxidant quercetin makes oxygen more easily available to the lungs. Due to which an increase in the time of endurance has been noticed. This allows you to spend more time exercising.
- Whiter Teeth — The biting and chewing of this fruit increases the secretion of saliva in the mouth that delays tooth decay. This fruit can definitely make those unpleasant visits to the dentist a lot less frequent!
- It brightens and lighten complexion — Apple fruit has the potential to lighten, brighten and soothe your skin. This is because it has the highest content of collagen and elastic, the stuff that is vital for keeping your skin flawless and youthful. Thus, consuming this delicious red fruit provides you with a rosy, youthful glow forever.
- Hydrates Skin — Apple hydrates as well as cleanses your skin. For this purpose, cut a slice of an apple and apply its juice on your face until the slice dries up. This will balance the oil production in your body and is a great hydrating mask. Apple can also be used as an exfoliant.
- Anti Aging benefits —Apple is a great anti-aging mask to lift the dull and wrinkled skin as well as keeping it moist. Regular intake of apples eliminates fine lines and wrinkles. You can rub grated apple on your face and leave on for 10 to 20 minutes. This will eliminate wrinkles as well as heal and cleanse your skin.
- UV Protection — Apple contains UVB defending particles that can provide extra protection from sun’s rays. This fruit can treat sunburns and prevent them from peeling. For this purpose, blend a teaspoon of glycerin with a pulp from the grated apple fruit. Apply this on your skin and leave for 15 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
- Acne, Blemishes, And Dark Spots — To get rid of acne, blemishes, and dark spots, you can mash a quarter of an apple with milk cream and apply it on your face. Apple also provides relief from acne and sunburns, thanks to its cooling properties. For this purpose, place an apple slice in the refrigerator for an hour or so and apply it on sun burnt skin or acne prone skin for relief.
- Great Toner — Apples are wonderful toners that help to tighten your skin and stimulate blood circulation to the skin surface. Raw apple pulp and apple cider vinegar are quite beneficial in this regard.
- Treatment of Puffy Eyes — Placing slices of apples under your eyes can reduce dark circles or puffy eyes. Alternatively, you can mix two tablespoons of apple cider with grated potatoes. Apply this on the eye puffiness and cover with a warm cloth. Leave this for 10 to 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Prevents Skin Cancer — Apple contains a small amount of vitamin A, a family of chemicals known as retinoids. Vitamin A plays an important role in skin development, thus enabling immature skin to develop into mature and functional skin tissue. Vitamin A also reduces the risk of skin cancer. One large apple provides about 120 international units of vitamin A which is equivalent to 5% and 4% of the daily vitamin A requirements for women and men respectively.
- Benefits of Vitamin C — Consumption of apples boosts your intake of vitamin C or ascorbic acid. This vitamin is involved in the formation of collagen, a protein found abundantly in your skin. Being a crucial structural component of skin, collagen helps to maintain your skin’s waterproof barrier. Deficiency of vitamin C leads to low collagen production which ultimately causes re-opening of old wounds and skin tearing.
- Stimulates Hair growth — Apple belongs to the category of fruits that are known as hair growth boosters. This quality can be attributed to the presence of a nutrient called biotin which has been heralded as the natural growth steroids for hair and nails. People are often recommended biotin in their diet to combat hair loss. Research has indicated that biotin promotes hair growth and infuses strength and thickness into each strand. And needless to say, apple is one of the best natural ways of getting this vital nutrient.
- Promote Longer And Healthier Hair — Long and lustrous locks are everyone’s desire and this delicious fruit does possess the ability to fulfill it. This is because it contains a compound called procyanidin B-2 which stimulates hair growth as well as thickens your hair. It also prevents hair thinning and male pattern baldness.
- Prevent Hair Loss — Apple has the potential to prevent hair loss, thanks to the presence of soluble fiber, phenolic compounds in apple skin, antioxidants, and vitamins. When eaten daily, apples also prevent hair fall. Antioxidants help in increasing circulation to the scalp, thus encouraging hair growth.
- Rheumatism — Patients who are suffering from rheumatism find apples very useful as they aid in the healing process. Along with the healing process, and perhaps more importantly, are the huge amount of flavonoid compounds found in apples. This has been the most exciting recent development in apple research, and flavonoid compounds like kaempferol, quercetin, and myricetin have been linked to reducing rheumatoid conditions, and inflammatory conditions like arthritis and gout
Overall, apples contain a great variety of everything you need. This little fruit is jam-packed! You wouldn’t want to waste the golden benefits that apples provide. So grab an apple and start increasing your level of health one bite at a time.