Having long, thick, and lustrous locks is a cherished desire of many. This makes the problems of thinning hair or hair loss very upsetting for some people, women and men alike.
Hair fall, damage, split ends, and dandruff are some of the common hair problems faced by all. Earlier hair loss used to be a sign of ageing. Given today’s hectic lifestyles and work-related stress, hair fall is becoming noticeable early on. Instead of resorting to over-the-counter solutions or chemical treatments, why not try some holistic home remedies for hair growth that are safe effective and better still, you will find all you need in your kitchen!
So how to grow new hair naturally? There are many advantages of going natural with hair care. The most important being the fact that it works and it is inexpensive. It’s like having the cake and the cherry at the same time!
Here are the remedies for hair growth —
Onion Juice —
Onion juice is rich in sulphur that boosts collagen production in the tissues and helps in regrowth of hair.
- Apply the juice on your scalp carefully and keep it on for 15 minutes. Finally, rinse off with a mild shampoo.
Apple Cider Vinegar —
Apple cider vinegar gently cleanses the scalp, maintains the pH balance of the hair, and accelerates hair growth
- Wash your hair thoroughly with shampoo. Mix 75ml of apple cider vinegar with one liter of water. You can store it for further use or make smaller batches. After washing your hair, use a cup of this solution as the final rinse
Egg Mask —
Egg is rich in proteins, sulphur, zinc, iron, selenium, phosphorous and iodine. The high protein content makes eggs one of the best ingredients that promote hair growth
- Take the egg white in a bowl and add a teaspoon of olive oil and honey to it. Mix it all well to form a smooth paste. Apply it to your hair and scalp carefully. Leave it on for 20 minutes. Rinse with cool water and shampoo it off.
Fenugreek serves two purposes – it promotes hair growth and also protects the natural color of your hair.
- Soak a cup of fenugreek seeds in water overnight, or at least for four hours. Take them out of the water and grind them into a paste. Apply coconut oil on your hair, followed by the paste. Let it sit for at least an hour before rinsing it out and shampooing your hair. Repeat the process two or three times a week.
Potato Juice —
- Apply this potato juice on your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes. Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
Coconut Milk —
Coconut milk is rich in proteins, iron, and other essential nutrients, and promotes hair growth and prevents breakage.
- Extract the milk of a coconut and apply it on the targeted areas or you can apply it all over your scalp. Keep it on overnight. Rinse off with cool water the next day.
Green Tea —
Green tea is rich in antioxidants. These antioxidants prevent hair loss and boost hair growth.
- Apply warm green tea all over your scalp. Leave it on for an hour. Rinse off with cold water.
Rich in potassium, coconut oil keeps your scalp healthy, promotes the growth of new hair, and repairs damaged hair. It also reduces dandruff, hair breakage, and hair loss. Coconut oil is also used as a preconditioning hair treatment for damaged hair
- Gently massage coconut oil all over your scalp. Keep it on overnight and wash your hair the next morning.
Cumin seeds have numerous nutrients essential for healthy and shining hair and applying the paste on your hair promotes hair growth.
- Soak cumin seeds in olive oil or castor oil. Let them soak overnight. The next morning, apply the paste on the targeted areas. Wash after 15 minutes with a mild shampoo.
Hibiscus Flower —
- Make a paste of hibiscus flowers with coconut oil or sesame oil. Apply it on your hair evenly. Rinse with a mild shampoo.
- Mix 2 tablespoons each of amla powder or juice and lime juice. Apply this mixture on your scalp properly and let it dry for some time. Rinse your hair well with warm water
Diet for Hair Growth —
A balanced diet rich in proteins will do a lot of good for your hair while unhealthy food can damage the hair and scalp.
Let’s look at some key ingredients which will help you to regain a healthy and lustrous mane. Here are the various foods for healthy hair!
- It not only contain a high amount of iron, but are also rich in omega-3s which support scalp health and encourage hair growth.
- especially chicken, has a high content of protein as well as zinc, iron, and Vitamin B which keeps the hair strands thick and strong.
- Oats aid in creating melanin and can also prevent hair loss.
- Oats contain minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium, and iron which boost hair growth.
Dry Fruits and Nuts –
- They are packed with iron, sulfur and biotin which promote hair growth.
- They are also abundant in vitamin E and inositol which enhances the blood circulation on the scalp and inositol maintains healthy hair follicles
Green Leafy Vegetables —
- Green leafy vegetables are a great source of vitamin A and C and also have heavy doses of iron and selenium.
- These vitamins assist in the production of sebum, which conditions the hair and promotes hair growth.
- They are an important building block for hair growth. Milk is the major source for calcium and iron, and there an ideal hair growth food.
- Being protein rich helps in hair growth
Soya Bean —
- Soya beans have 40% proteins and a great deal of good fats which are also much needed for hair growth
Protein-Rich Foods —
- Our hair is made of a special protein called keratin. Try to include eggs, chicken, tofu, soybean, kidney beans, and other similar foods in your diet.
- These are the richest source of protein for hair. They promote the growth of new hair and make your hair shiny and smooth
Vitamin E rich Foods —
- The scalp capillary function is stimulated by the intake of vitamin E in your diet.
- It increases blood circulation and promotes hair growth. Cereals, sunflower oil, soybean oil, tofu, etc. contain good amounts of vitamin E
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.