Jackfruit is a sweet, delicious and exotic fruit that is packed with many nutrients and benefits. Jackfruit is known as the jack of all fruits. It is a rich source of vitamin, minerals, phytonutrients, carbohydrate, electrolytes, fiber, fat and protein. This fruit also contains calorie but no cholesterol or saturated fats. Consume jackfruit for the best taste, nutrition and its many health benefits.
In addition to its sweet, nice, taste and smell, every part of this tree is medically beneficial including the bark, leaves, roots, flowers, pulps and seeds and each of these parts has its separate qualities. The growing stages also differ from each other and provide different therapeutic qualities. All of these facts and more to come are the reasons why it is very healthy and should be included in everyone’s diet.
The main nutrients and chemical facts of jackfruit that makes it the ideal fruit to look for are as follows —
- It is infused with a diverse set of vitamins such as vitamin C and A, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, calcium, potassium (with 303 mg found per 100 g), iron, zinc, sodium and folic acid.
- One of the few trees rich in B-complex group vitamins as well as vitamin B6.
- Has phytonutrient properties such as anti-cancer, anti-hypertensive, anti-ulcer and anti-inflammatories.
- It is a rich source of phytonutrients and phenolics.
- Has minerals, fiber, protein, and is free of fats and bad cholesterol.
- It is antibacterial and antiviral which is a great support to the immune system.
- Is low in calories .100 g of jackfruit only contains 94 calories.
Here are the benefits of Jackfruit —
Strengthens Immunity —
- It is a great source of Vitamin C and antioxidants, which can strengthen your immune system.
- A strong immune system can protect the body from many common diseases such as cough, cold and flu.
Prevents cancer —
- It has antioxidants, phytonutrients and flavonoid that provide protection from cancer.
- Antioxidants in jackfruit protect the body from free radicals.
- Free radicals are produced due to oxidative stress in the body. This damages the DNA of your cell and produces cancer cell.
Gives instant energy —
- It is loaded with carbohydrate and calorie.
- This is a rich source of simple sugar like fructose and sucrose that gives instant energy.
- The fruit contains zero cholesterol that makes it a safe and healthy food.
Maintains blood pressure —
- It has potassium that maintains the sodium level in the body.
- Good level of potassium helps to maintain the fluid level to balance electrolyte. Hence, it is useful to reduce high blood pressure, stroke and heart attack.
Improves digestion —
- It is a rich source of dietary fiber that makes it a bulk laxative. This helps to improve digestion and prevents constipation.
Improves eyesight —
- Rich antioxidant content in jackfruit increases eye vision and provides protection against cataract and macular degeneration.
- It also contains vitamin A that is a vital nutrient for eye health.
Helps in Skin health and ageing —
- Many natural factors such as increase in age, menopause, and low nutrition cause the body to age.
- Pollution, UV radiation and smoke also promote ageing process at an early age.
- Antioxidants present can destroy the free radicals in the body to slow down the ageing process.
Provides relief Asthma patients —
- It provides relief to people suffering from asthma. Asthma is a respiratory disorder affecting a number of people today.
Promotes Bone health —
- It contains calcium, which strengthens and promotes healthy bone. This can also prevent osteoporosis.
- It also contains good level of potassium, which can decrease the loss of calcium through the kidney and increase bone density.
Prevents Anemia —
- It comes loaded with Vitamin A, C, E, K, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Pantothenic acid, Copper, Manganese and Magnesium that are required for blood formation.
- This also increases your body’s capacity to absorb iron, thus preventing and curing anemia.
Regulates blood sugar levels —
- High blood sugar level can be caused due to manganese deficiency in the body.
- It has a rich amount of this nutrient and thus helps regulate blood sugar levels in the body.
Keeps thyroid healthy —
- Copper is vital for thyroid metabolism, especially for hormone production and absorption.
- It is filled with this potent micro mineral and keeps your metabolism rate healthy.
Helps prevent night blindness —
- It can be very good for your eyes. This ‘jack of all fruits’ contain a good amount of vitamin A and can prevent night blindness.
Lowers risk of heart disease —
- It is very heart-friendly. Vitamin B6 present in the fruit helps to reduce homocystein levels in your blood and keeps your heart hale and hearty!
Cures ulcers —
- It has strong anti-ulcerative properties that can cure ulcers and many other digestive system disorders.
Weight loss agent —
- As obesity rates are on the rise, jackfruit can help in weight loss because it’s free of fat and low in calories that enable dieters to safely and comfortably consume it and fully benefit from all its other nutrients.
Insomnia curer —
- Sleeping disorders can be cured by eating jackfruit, due to its richness with magnesium and iron that assist in improving the overall quality of sleep.
- Magnesium also helps in preventing anemia which is one of the major causes of insomnia.
Diabetes friendly —
- Although extremely sweet in taste, jackfruits are safely consumed by diabetics because it slowly absorbs sugar into the bloodstream which enables diabetic patients to safely consume it while getting all its health benefits.
- It also increases glucose tolerance for both types of diabetes.
With so many benefits, jackfruit definitely deserves a place of honour in your diet! So, eat jackfruit and enjoy its health benefits!
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.