Banana fruit has nutrients that are essential for the skin. They contain significant amounts of vitamin C and B6 which plays vital role in maintaining the integrity and elasticity of the skin.
In addition, the large amount of antioxidants and manganese present in banana protect the body from damage caused by oxygen free radicals which lead to premature aging of the skin.
So a major benefit from banana is younger looking skin. Banana has about 75 per cent water by weight. Thus banana helps hydrate your skin and prevents it from drying and peeling.
Here are some benefits of banana for skin care:
Natural Moisturizer — Banana is a great natural moisturizer for your skin. The Vitamin A present in banana restores the lost moisture and repairs the damaged, dull and dry skin.
- To instantly moisturize dry and dull skin, mash a ripe banana and apply it on your face. Avoid contact with eyes. Leave it on your skin for 20-25 minutes and then wash it away with lukewarm water. You will instantly have soft and supple skin.If you have extremely dry and flaky skin, you can also add honey to this face mask.This banana and honey mask also helps in getting rid of skin pigmentation.
- Another easy face mask to get moisturized skin is to mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp. yogurt and 1 tsp. Vitamin E oil. Apply it generously on a clean face and wash it away after 30 minutes.
Glowing Skin — Banana contains generous amount of Vitamin C that helps in maintaining the natural and youthful glow of the skin.
Here are some banana face masks that you can use to get that natural glow back on your face:
- Mash half a ripe banana and mix it with 1 tbsp. of sandalwood powder/paste and ½ tsp. of honey. Let it stay on your skin for 20-25 minutes and wash it with lukewarm water. This face mask is beneficial for oily skin as sandalwood helps in cleaning excess sebum and oil from the skin while banana keeps it moisturized.
- Mash one ripe banana and mix it with lemon juice form one lemon (approximately 2-3 tbsp.). Leave it on for 25 minutes. This mask is full of vitamin C which will get rid of dullness and help in reduction of spots and blemishes.
Banana Skin Scrubs — Banana is full of anti-oxidants; mixed with a few ingredients, it not only helps to get rid of dead skin but also leaves it feeling rejuvenated.
Here are some banana based scrubs that you make using ingredients available in your kitchen:
- Take mashed banana and 1 tbsp. of sugar and mix them well. Apply it on your skin and rub it in circular motions. Banana will moisturize the dry skin while sugar granules will get rid of the dead skin.
- Mash a ripe banana; add 2-3 tablespoons of oats, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon milk. Apply it on your face and leave it 5 minutes, then slowly rub it on your skin. Wash with cold water. In case you have extremely dry skin, you can substitute milk with fresh cream.
- Take half a ripe banana, 1 tbsp. coconut milk, 2 tbsp. uncooked rice, blend everything together to get a thick paste. Gently massage your face with this paste and wash with cold water afterwards.
- To make a body scrub, mash 2 bananas with 4-5 strawberries using a blender. Mix 3 tablespoons of sugar and use it as a body scrub when you take a bath.
Anti Ageing —
Nutrients in banana helps in fighting wrinkles and keeps the skin youthful.
- For an anti-aging facial mask loaded with vitamins A and E, mash together an avocado and a banana. Leave on skin for 25 minutes and rinse. Skin will be soft and youthful. The vitamins E in avocados combined with the nutrients in bananas fight free radicals and repair damage.
- Another simple face mask to fight effect of ageing is to mash 1/4 banana until very creamy and add one teaspoon of rose water. Apply it on face and neck and wash it off after half an hour.
Foot Care —
The moisturizing property of banana can be used to get rid of cracked heels.
- All you need to do is mash the pulp of two ripe bananas and apply this pulp on clean, dry feet. Leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse the feet clean. The banana pulp will penetrate deep into dry, cracked skin to create soft and supple feet.
Good bye puffy eyes —
- Mash half a banana and apply generously around the puffy eyes. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinsing with cool water. The puffiness will vanish instantly. The potassium rich banana draws out excess fluid from under my skin and reduces the swelling immediately.
- You can also apply the banana peels instead of mashed banana. This tip can also be used whenever you apply any face pack and think about putting cucumber slices on your eyes.
Cures Pimples —
- Just massage banana peels on your face and body for 5 minutes every day to cure pimples. The results should be visible within a week. Keep applying the peels till the acne disappears.
Reduces Wrinkles —
- The banana peel helps to keep your skin hydrated. Add an egg yolk to a mashed banana peel. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for 5 minutes. Wash off after 5 minutes.
Pain reliever —
- Apply the banana peel directly on the painful area. Leave it for 30 minutes till the pain is gone. A mixture of vegetable oil and banana peel also helps in pain relief.
Heals Psoriasis —
- Apply the peel on the psoriasis affected area. The banana peel has moisturizing properties and also reduces itchiness. It will quickly heal psoriasis and you can see noticeable results within no time.
Oil control —
- If you’ve got oily greasy skin, use a simple banana face mask with lemon juice and honey.
- Banana is a great exfoliator which helps slough off excess sebum on skin surface. It also contains moisture, potassium, and vitamins E and C, which all promote clear glowing skin.
- Mash a ripe banana with the back of a fork and combine 1 tablespoon of raw honey and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to make an amazing face mask. Rinse off with a wet cloth or cold water.
Lightens dark spots —
- Whether it’s acne scars, tiny moles, age spots, or just dark spots that make your face dull, you can reduce them and even out general skin discolorations by applying mashed banana onto your face at least twice a week.