Summers can be so much fun! Basking under the Sun on the beaches, fishing, or simply having fun with friends in the warm and sunny weather. But unfortunately, the undesirable result is visible within a few days – a tanned skin.
Sun tan lines, which may be accompanied by itching or burning sensation, or even sunburns can ruin your summer. The sun’s ultraviolet rays increase production of melanin in the body, which results in sun tanned skin. After getting a sun tan, it is not easy to bring your skin back to a normal state but with patience and care it can be done.
Instead of spending money on expensive cosmetic products, you can try some natural treatments.
There are many simple natural treatments that can lighten a sun tan and restore a lighter complexion —
Lemon Juice —
- Slice the lemon and rub it on the tanned region. Leave it on for a few minutes before you hit the shower
Oat Meal and Buttermilk —
- In 3 tablespoons of buttermilk add 2 tablespoons of oatmeal. Using circular movements, massage it onto the tanned areas.
Sandalwood Paste —
- This one’s simple; apply sandalwood paste every night before you sleep. Ideally, wash it off when you wake up.
Turmeric and milk —
- Mix a small amount of turmeric powder in milk. Let it dry.
- Simply place the cabbage leaves on the affected areas for 15-20 minutes.
Bitter gourd –
- Apply the bitter gourd juice on the affected areas. Massage for a minute or two and let it sit for 5-7 minutes before rinsing it off.
- Gently apply the curd all over the affected areas before a shower. Leave it on for about 15-20 minutes. Wash off.
Ice cubes —
- Rub the ice cubes on the sunburnt area for a few minutes.
Wheat Flour —
- Make a thick paste of water and wheat flour. Apply it as a thick layer. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then rinse.
Gram Flour —
- Add rose water to the gram flour and stir well. Apply this paste on the affected areas. Rinse after 10 minutes.
- Scoop out of the gel from the leaf and rub them on the affected areas. Keep it on for at least 10-15 minutes before washing it off
- Squeeze out the juice from the tomato and apply it to your face. It is better to use a tomato kept in the refrigerator. Let it remain for 15-20 minutes and then wash off.
Raw Papaya —
- Grate or make a paste of raw papaya. Apply this on the affected areas and leave it on for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Add honey to the cucumber juice and mix well. Apply on the tanned and sunburnt areas for 10-15 minutes. Rinse with cool water.
Coconut Milk —
- Dip the cotton ball in the coconut milk and apply it liberally all over the affected area. Keep it on for about 10 minutes and then rinse.
- Brew some fresh green tea and let it cool down. Apply it on the tanned skin using the cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse with water.
- Apply milk on clean skin. Let it dry naturally and then rinse with water.
Baby Oil —
- Apply liberal amounts of baby oil on the tanned areas and massage well. Shower as usual.
Most of these ingredients can be easily found in your kitchen rack or refrigerator and make excellent tan removal concoctions. Patience is the key for natural remedies. But remember, prevention is better than cure. If you are spending some time in the sun, do not forget to slather some sunscreen on your skin to prevent skin damage and sun tan.
I’m Dr. Malini Bhat MD (Ayu); an Ayurvedic Doctor and a health blogger. Follow me on social media to get daily health tips which you can easily adapt to a healthy lifestyle.